Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Allah Bachaye!

Being brought up in a strictly religious and conformist family and society; I have always been quite aware about the religious sensibilities of people. Despite my differences with others I have always respected the choices of people with regard to their specific mode of Islam or religion in general. From puritanical Salafies to die-hard Shias, all have been part of my inner circle of friends. This may sound counter intuitive but i have had absolutely no issue with them and their views. I still don't.

However, there is one group of religious people who make me uncomfortable. I call them 'born again' muslim reverts who preach and preach over zealously (born again because they have been living a so called hedonistic life until the guidance arrived). They talk as if their decision to revert back to 'conformist' Islam is enough to guarantee them a place in heaven. Quite often they speak to you in a way which makes you feel morally inferior. To me nothing is more immoral than moral snobbishness. I have strong reservations about such people. My issue with them doesn't stem from their conformist stance on religion but rather from their new attitude towards those who haven't seen the 'light of guidance' yet. I needed to give vent to my feelings because I met such a friend of mine who made me feel exactly this way. The session was a torment for me. At the end of our meeting I just whispered to myself, 'Ab Allah hi is ko Allah se bachaye' and left the place.

5 comments:

Maryam said...

Thank you for this amazing read, mA :)

I think that this mentality exists on both sides. I've experienced it post-niqab. People think that my dress is condescending and they do get intimidated, but its different when i talk to them y'know.

And our deeds alone never give us a blanket immunity over hell-fire but Allah's mercy does, subhanAllah :)

Qasim Aziz said...

I know what you mean Maryam. There are nincompoops every where.
This post of mine was probably the result of me losing my temper and my blog seemed to be the only safe place to give vent to my sentiments.

And I hope you don't get offended when people treat you that way. Must have been difficult at times :)

Qasim Aziz said...

I feel the same way when people treat me as if I am a disbeliever or infidel. Iqbal said,
'Zahid o tang nazar nei mugh ko kafir jana;
Aur kafir ye samjta hei kei musalman houn mein'.

Pretty much sums up my position :-)

Maryam said...

SubhanAllah yes. nai the criticism just makes you stronger. I used to be like that, as in pre-niqab i was judgmental too, but alhamdulilah ive learned that if Allah ta'ala doesn't judge us till death then we have no right to judge one another.

I don't think that anyone's appearance shows the condition of their heart. khayr thank you for your kind words, may Allah ta'ala make you successful in both this world and the Hereafter ameen :)

take care, salaam :)

Qasim Aziz said...

Thanku :-)