Saturday, August 25, 2012

We lost ourselves in love by R.D. Laing

We lost ourselves in love.
 And then lost love.

We searched for it thro both our hearts.
 In vain.
We found only our graves.
We looked above,
Below, about:
But always the same pain.
The pain has gone.     
We sit and watch TV
We seldom yawn.     
She makes me cups of tea
We tell no tales.     
There’s no more need for guile
We do not pick our nails.     
We sometimes smile
We’re grateful to the powers that be
For lifeless, loveless, hateless, apathy
I can’t remember when I last felt glad
I can’t remember when I last felt sad
I can’t remember when I last got pissed
I can’t remember when I last was kissed.
He didn’t particularly like her
But she was having his child
She didn’t especially fancy him
But her parents were going wild
He was too selfish and guilty
To walk away scot free
She felt like a caged canary
When he said “Marry me”
They had a beautiful baby
Then another two or three
She prayed to the Virgin Mary
To return her virginity
He contemplated murder
He tried a mistress or two
She would often shudder
When she thought of what life can do
They grew old together
Each completely alone
Neither could help each other
Their hearts had turned to stone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unrequited love makes you a philosopher and requited love makes you a griping husband. :)

Qasim Aziz said...

or a gripping wife to be precise :)